Sunday, August 30, 2015

Nursery Sneak Peek: Alphabet Wall How-To


If you go back and take a look at an earlier post where I posted a design board for baby girl's nursery, you'll notice that an alphabet wall was not in the plan. Not even close. My original idea was to put a sunburst mirror over the dresser. 

Needless to say, I wasn't satisfied with that. I just couldn't shake the feeling that something was missing. So, of course, I turned to my friend, Pinterest. It didn't take long for me to decide on the alphabet. It was an inexpensive way to spruce up that wall. I still love the starburst mirror, I just moved it to a different wall (you'll see in the reveal post). This was the last project on the to-do list in the nursery. Here's how I did it: 

Materials:

Chipboard letters
Scrapbook paper 
2 foam brushes
Scissors 
Xacto knife
Gold spray paint
Command strips or some other brand of velcro tape

Directions: 

The first thing I did when I got home with all of my goodies was spray paint the "I", the heart, and the "U". I wanted those 3 to stand out from the rest of the letters I grabbed a can of gold spray paint and got to work. 


For the rest of the letters, I chose several designs from a scrapbook collection I found at Hobby Lobby that I thought coordinated perfectly with the nursery colors. It was around $13 with my handy dandy 40% off coupon. 

After picking out the designs I planned to use, I assigned them to the letters and started tracing. I placed each letter face down on the back of the sheet and carefully traced it out. Then I cut out each letter with scissors. Next, I laid out the letters on the floor and simply placed to cutouts over the letters to make sure I liked the distribution of the designs. 

 
I realized after laying everything out that the "J" and the "T" needed to be changed because there was way too much gold going on. A quick change to a mint design, and I was finally happy with how it looked. Time to make it permanent!

Notice something missing? Hobby Lobby did not carry the "Q", "X", or "Z" in chipboard. Not sure why...maybe those letters are just not important, but Wal-Mart saved the day with their MDF letters. I still bought the rest of the alphabet at Hobby Lobby because they were on sale for 99 cents each. No way I was going to pass that up. I paid around 2 bucks each for the letters I got a Wal-Mart, but I only  needed 3, so it didn't affect my budget too much. 

Before adhering the scrapbook paper to  the letters, I painted the sides with gold acrylic paint. This step was not completely necessary since the letters are so thin, but I thought it was a nice detail, so I did it anyway. 


Next, I used a foam brush to "paint" mod podge onto the letters and adhere the scrapbook paper. 


I let them dry for about 30 minutes before I used the Xacto knife to cut out the insides of some of the letters. 

At this point you can go ahead and start putting you letters up on the wall. Unless you're me and you wait a whole month to put them up. To attach them to the wall, I bought several rolls of velcro tape. I forgot to take pictures of this process, but it was really easy. I just cut out strips of velcro and attached them to the backs of the letters. Then, using my best friend laser level, I started placing the letters on the wall. 


I pretty much eyeballed the spacing between the letters and rows, but the level helped me to get the rows perfectly straight. The laser is optional. If you have a pretty good eye or you're not a perfectionist, go for it! I just don't think I would have been able to do it without it. 


There you have it! A beautiful, inexpensive way to fill up the wall over the changing table. I can't wait to show the finished nursery! 













No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished